It’s August and its HOT in Dubai! It’s currently 41 C but due to humidity levels hitting 90%, last week was meant to feel like 64 C…and it will only get worse I imagine. Even though it gets so blistering hot, I have to admit we are quite spoilt here, surviving in air conditioned everything. We get into our air conditioned cars parked in basements to our air-conditioned offices and air-conditioned malls and restaurants to air-conditioned bus stops even, barely feeling the summer heat.The hardest part of the day sometimes is the first 5 minutes of getting in to your car that’s parked outdoors when the fear of accidently cattle pressing your self with the seatbelt buckle strikes (this is a real problem, I am not kidding)
Granita is a semi frozen dessert or drink usually made with sugar, water and fruit or other flavourings, essentially a refined slushie, except with coarser flakes of ice. The thought of having something icy and refreshing parked in the freezer during summer is appeasing. This watermelon and cucumber granita is the perfect drink to cool you down. I replaced the sugar with just 2 tablespoons of honey because the watermelon was sweet enough and who needs that additional sugar anyway.
Both cucumber and watermelon have a high water content, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and will keep you cool and hydrated during summer.
Give it a shot, its super easy to make and would also taste great with a splash of Gin if you feel naughtayyy.
- 1kg watermelon, diced and deseeded
- 400g cucumber, peeled
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 lime, juiced
- In a blender, purée watermelon and cucumber to a fine pulp (you may strain the mixture to get rid of seeds if any)
- Add honey and lime juice and mix.
- Transfer to a large metal baking pan or ice cream container and freeze.
- Remove every 30 minutes and scrape the edges to break up the ice crystals.
- Continue scraping every 30 minutes for at least 2 hours until frozen
- After 2-3 hours or once frozen, using a fork as a rake, flake the surface of the granita until you get flakey ice crystals
- To serve, scoop into glasses and let the bottom defrost before drinking