What if I told you this dessert is made entirely out of nuts and fruit?
Enter Chocolate Avocado Mousse Tart!
If you’ve been trying to eat healthy but still have a sweet tooth I’m sure you’ve tried to make Avocado Mousse at some point. Take it one step further by making this easy raw tart with a perfectly smooth, velvety and pipeable chocolate avocado mousse.
For the base, I used pecans but any other oily nut would work just as well or even a combination of two nuts. You could substitute the pecans with almonds and walnuts or walnuts and hazelnuts if you would like to experiment. I also used Barley Malt Syrup to sweeten the tart base which is an unprocessed sweetener made from sprouted barley. It has an earthy taste, it is less sweet than regular sugar and has a lower GI making it cause less of an insulin spike than regular sugar. It is primarily made out of Maltose which is a better than fructose or sucrose but ultimately still is a sugar so should be consumed moderately.
All you need for the avocado mousse is cacao, avocadoes, honey and some vanilla extract and a food processor. I used honey instead of barley malt syrup for the mousse to mask the taste of avocado as much as possible. In addition, the mousse or the tart is best kept refrigerated overnight. This gives it time for the flavors to infuse as a result giving you a mousse that is rich and chocoaltey.
Sure this tart is raw, vegan, dairy free and gluten free which probably may seem like it is okay to gorge on but remember it is made out of the ‘good fat’s’ which also need to be consumed in moderation although still good for you.
Happy Healthy Eating!
- For the Tart Base
- 300g or 3 cups Pecans
- 30 g or 2 Tbsp Ghee (or coconut oil/butter)
- 50g or 2 Tbsp Barley Malt Syrup (or Rice Malt Syrup/Maple Syrup/Honey)
- For the Chocolate Mousse
- 400g or 4 Avocadoes
- 60g or ½ cup cacao
- 100g or 4 Tbsp honey (or sweetener of choice)
- 2-3f or 1 tsp vanilla paste (or extract)
- In a food processor, blend the pecans until coarse crumbs are formed.
- Add the melted ghee or coconut oil/butter and the barley malt syrup (or sweetener of choice) and process. The mix should stick together when pressed with your hands.
- Place the mix into the base of the tart tin and press down from the center outwards
- Freeze for half an hour
- For the chocolate mousse, blend the avocadoes, cacao, honey and vanilla paste until all the ingredients are well combined and the mousse is smooth
- Fold into a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe. Alternatively, pour into tart shell and spread evenly using an offset spatula.